Monday, February 14, 2022

Final thoughts

As was the case with the Losers League, a previous eight-team, 154-game schedule season, the 73 Least League took a bit more than two years. Which is a relatively daunting committment to contemplate for a future Strat project. And by the time it's over, I'm getting fairly bored with the same bunch of players. It may be a while before I forget that a roll of 11 is the only one-base error for Denny Doyle at second base.

Despite that, I do have one in mind, involving eight teams from the 1969 set. There are, if I recall correctly, eight teams in that set that won 90 to 86 games, a tight range that suggests a competitive league.

Two issues to record for future reference:

Standings: As with the Losers League, I had issues just keeping the standings accurate in this one. I did do a weekly spot check in which I added up the wins and losses, and at least three times (probably more) caught errors in which I credited a team with a win instead of a loss or vice versa, or failed to register a decision period.

If I do that Middle League, I need a way to ensure accurate standings.

The taxi squad: I had attached some 1969 pitchers to rosters for roster emergencies as well as compiled a set of 1973 scrub players, ptichers and position players, for the league to draw upon. Most of the 1969 players, who were team specific, got their one start (I limited taxi squad pitchers to one appearance). The Cubs, Mets, Pirates and Cardinals did not draw upon their 1969 pitcher, but the Phillies, Expos and Astos used theirs completely. (The 1969 Braves had no pitchers bad enough to qualify for this.) Only two pitchers from the league wide squad were used, and just one position player, although I did attach one infielder to a roster twice in September in case of an injury. Next time, if there is a next time, I will not do the team-specific taxi squads.

So ... on to the next project, the Todd County League. 

No comments:

Post a Comment